New Catalyst 12.11 driver
Today is October 26, and that means Windows 8 will be available in just a few short days.
This Catalyst 12.11 driver introduces significant performance improvements for many games across ALL 28nm Club 3D Radeon™ HD 7000 Series products: Radeon™ HD 7700, Radeon™ HD 7800 and Radeon™ HD 7900.
Performance improvements (vs. AMD Catalyst™ 12.8*):
- Up to 18% in Battlefield 3
- Certain maps will see an improvement in excess of 20%
- Up to 18% in Medal of Honor: Warfighter
- Up to 15% in Civilization V
- Up to 15% in Unigine Heaven
- Up to 11% in 3DMark 11
- Up to 10% in DiRT Showdown
- Up to 8% in Borderlands 2
- Up to 8% in Sleeping Dogs
- Up to 9% in StarCraft 2
- Up to 8% in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Up to 8% in Sniper Elite: V2
- Up to 7% in Metro 2033
- Up to 5% in Just Cause 2
For independent analysis of these figures, please consider reading the coverage at TechPowerUp or Hardware Canucks!
As always, we are always interested in what you think, please leave any feedback you have about this new driver, contact us by clicking here.
For older products: AMD Catalyst™ 12.6
For users of products on AMD’s extended support cycle - Club 3D Radeon™ HD 2000, Radeon™ HD 3000 and Radeon™ HD 4000 Series—There is a Windows 8-compatible version of AMD Catalyst™ 12.6 available. This driver brings the full AMD Catalyst™ Control Center experience to these GPUs in the new OS. As a reminder, these products have been transitioned to the extended support phase of the product lifecycle because they have reached peak optimization from a feature and performance perspective. Future driver updates will be released on an “as-needed” basis.
NOTE: Users in mission-critical environments dependent on Windows Hardware Certification (WHC) should turn to this month’s AMD Catalyst™ 12.10 WHQL release. This is a Microsoft-certified driver for Windows® Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
(*) Performance calculated by comparing the performance of AMD Catalyst™ 12.11 vs. AMD Catalyst™ 12.8 and benchmarked on the following settings:
- Aliens vs. Predators (2560x1600x32 4xMSAA 16xAF texturequality=veryhigh shadowquality=high ssao=on tessellation=on advancedshadows=on)
- Battlefield 3 (2560x1600x32 0xAA 0xAF fxaa=high quality=ultra)
- Batman Arkham City (2560x1600x32 0xAA 0xAF DX=11 detaillevel=veryhigh AA=MSAA8 PHYSX=on Tessellation=high)
- Civilization V Lategame (2560x1600x32 4xMSAA 8xAF quality=high dxmode=dx11 tessellation=high hdstrategicview=on)
- Crysis 2 (2560x1600x32 xAA 16xAF quality=ultra msaa=4 ssao=off ssaoquality=off edgeaa=0 postmsaaedgefilternv=off directx=11 hirestextures=1)
- DiRT Showdown (1920x1080x32 4xMSAA 8xAF quality=ultra)
- Metro 2033 (2560x1600x32 4xMSAA 16xAF quality=veryhigh tessellation=off physx=off DepthOfField=off)
- Skyrim (2560x1600x32 8xAA 16xAF quality=ultra Hi Res Textures=on)
Tested on the following hardware configuration:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3960X (3.3GHz)
Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD65
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24
OS: Windows 7 RTM 64bit
Drivers: AMD Catalyst™ 12.11 (Beta), AMD Catalyst™ 12.8 (WHQL), GeForce 306.23 WHQL
© 2012 Club 3D B.V., All rights reserved. Club 3D is a trademark of Club 3D B.V. All other brand names, images and/or logos are trademarks or registered trademarks and are property of their respective owners. All specifications and images are subject to change without prior notice. The information presented on this article is for informational purposes only, Club 3D is not liable for any errors or technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors.